Tuesday, January 29, 2008

state of funk

over the past several nights i've been thinking a lot about my health and the way i take care of myself, especially when i get home from work. my unit has recently been getting a lot more patients in our age range. can you believe that? 25, 30, 35 year olds being admitted to the ICU!!! unbelievable. on several occasions i've taken care of these young adults and wondered, WHY? why this young, why them, why this family??? it's scary people. as a health care professional, i take pride and am motivated to care for the sick and dying! i think i'm good at what i do and i am very blessed that God has allowed me to be His healing hands and have had the opportunity to learn and become educated in the field of medicine. that's an awesome gift. unfortunately, there's a sad component to this: i take care of these people yet i don't care for myself. i eat horrible food, don't exercise the way i used to, and stress myself out over things i shouldn't be worrying about. i think about it more and more and have come to realize that i'm just putting myself at just the same risk that my patients have put themselves through. and look at where they have ended up. in an ICU. SAD, UNFORTUNATE, REAL! i really need to shape up and remember that i'm only 27 and have a whole life ahead of me and in order to see that life i need to take care of myself, medically, emotionally, and physically! my friends, take care of yourselves!

peas

No comments: